What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing is the process of building awareness about you, your products or services through the various social media channels.
The ultimate goal of any social media marketing campaign is to drive traffic to a website, increase the visibility of a product, gain more social media followers or find more customers.
The most popular social media networks today are: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram and Linkedin.
Why is social media marketing important?
Social Media marketing is important because:
- It’s the fastest way to spread the word about a new product, service or news item – A tweet can go rival in minutes and spread a message around the Word faster than TV or other traditional media
- It’s a trend – Millions of people spend a good amount of their time on social media networks so if you ‘need them’ you know where to find them
- It’s the new marketing – Back in the old days, marketers found out that many people spend time in their cars driving so they thought of the billboards on the roads. Today people are spending time on social media so as a marketer you have to start thinking this way too.
- It’s the new influencer – Recent studies show that social media is becoming a great sales channel and more and more companies are stating that they get customers from Facebook or Twitter.
Social Media Marketing tips for beginners
- Decide which social media platform(s) to use
- Optimize your social media profiles
- Connect your website or blog with your social media pages
- Add social media buttons on your website
- Find and follow the influencers in your niche
- Keep a balance between following and followers
- Share interesting content (text, images, videos)
- Post many times per day but don’t overdo it
- Don’t forget to follow back
- Follow the rules and be patient
When it comes to social media there are 2 important pillars. The first one has to do with the setup of your social media profiles and the second one is about usage i.e. how you use your social media account.
For the first pillar, it is important to engage in the networks more suited to your niche and to have a proper connection between your social media pages and website.
For the second pillar, it is important to follow the right people, be followed by the right people and share relevant and interesting content always by adhering to the rules of the different social media networks.